Browse by Author’s
To search for a title, use the search box at the top right of the page.
Nearly every publication on American furniture, especially those on early American furniture, mentions objects from Massachusetts, by virtue of the age of the state and its importance in the world of furniture since the seventeenth century. The following list is therefore of necessity selective.
Bibliography for D
- Davidson, Marshall B. The Bantam Illustrated Guide to Early American Furniture. New York: Bantam, 1980.
- Davidson, Marshall B., ed. Three Centuries of American Antiques. New York: Bonanza Books, 1979. (Originally published in three volumes under separate titles, 1967-69, by the American Heritage Publishing Company.)
- Demeter, Andrew, and David Demeter. The Chelsea Clock Company: The First Hundred Years. Chelsea, Mass.: Demeter Publications, 2001.
- Denenberg, Thomas A. Wallace Nutting and the Invention of Old America. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003.
- Denker, Ellen, and Bert Denker. The Rocking Chair Book. New York: Mayflower Books, a Main Street Press Book, 1979.
- DePillis, Marlo S., and Christian Goodwillie. Gather Up the Fragments: The Andrews Shaker Collection. Pittsfield, Mass.: Hancock Shaker Village, 2008. Distributed by Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
- Dibble, R. Ruthie. “The Hands that Rocked the Cradle: Interpretations in the Life of an Object.” AF 2013, 1-23.
- Distin, William H., and Robert Bishop. The American Clock: A Comprehensive Pictorial Survey, 1723-1900, with a Listing of 6153 Clockmakers. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1976.
- Dow, George Francis, comp. The Arts and Crafts in New England, 1704-1775. Topsfield: Wayside Press, 1927.
- Downing, A. J. “Furniture.” In The Architecture of Country Houses including Designs for Cottages, Farm Houses, and Villas, 406-60. 1850. Reprint, New York: Dover, 1969.
- Downs, Joseph. American Furniture, Queen Anne and Chippendale Periods in the Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum. New York: Macmillan Company, 1952.
- Downs, Joseph. “American Japanned Furniture.” Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin 28 (March 1933): 42-48.
- Downs, Joseph. “Furniture at the Forum: Regional Characteristics of American Furniture, I.” Antiques 55, no. 6 (June 1949): 435-49.
- Downs, Joseph. “John Cogswell, Cabinetmaker.” Antiques 61, no. 4 (April 1952): 322-24.
- Downs, Joseph. “A Selection of American Furniture.” Antiques 61, no. 5 (May 1952): 424-28.
- Durfee, Walter H. “Four Typical Colonial Clocks.” Antiques 4, no. 6 (December 1923): 281-85.
- Dyer, Walter A. “The Boston Rocker.” Antiques 13, no. 5 (May 1928): 389-92.