Browse by Author’s
To search for a title, use the search box at the top right of the page.
Nearly every publication on American furniture, especially those on early American furniture, mentions objects from Massachusetts, by virtue of the age of the state and its importance in the world of furniture since the seventeenth century. The following list is therefore of necessity selective.
Bibliography for J
- Jackson, Christie. “Nathan Lombard: A New Form and an Uncovered Family History.” Antiques and Fine Art 12, no. 4 (spring 2013): 182-85.
- Jaffee, David. “Artisan-Entrepreneurs in Worcester County, Massachusetts.” In Rural New England Furniture, 100-18.
- Jaffee, David. A New Nation of Goods: The Material Culture of Early America. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010.
- Jareckie, Stephen B. The Early Republic: Consolidation of Revolutionary Goals. Worcester, Mass.: Worcester Art Museum, 1976.
- Jenkins, Emyl. Emyl Jenkins’ Reproduction Furniture: Antiques for the Next Generation. New York: Crown Publishers, 1995.
- Jensen, James F. “Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century American Furniture at the Honolulu Academy of Arts.” Antiques 113, no. 5 (May 1978): 1086-97.
- Jobe, Brock. “A Boston Desk-and-Bookcase at the Milwaukee Art Museum.” Antiques 140, no. 3 (September 1991): 412-19.
- Jobe, Brock. “The Boston Furniture Industry, 1720-1740.” In Boston Furniture, 3-48.
- Jobe, Brock. “The Boston Upholstery Trade, 1700-1775.” In Upholstery in America and Europe from the Seventeenth Century to World War I, Edward S. Cooke, Jr., 65-89. New York: W. W. Norton, 1987.
- Jobe, Brock. “Bay State Riches: The Magazine Antiques and Four Centuries of Massachusetts Furniture.” Antiques 180, no. 1 (January/February 2013): 166-75.
- Jobe, Brock, and Clark Pearce. “Sophistication in Rural Massachusetts: The Inlaid Cherry Furniture of Nathan Lombard.” AF 1998, 164-96.
- Jobe, Brock, and Gary R. Sullivan. “Furniture Making in Massachusetts: Two Plymouth County Discoveries.” Antiques 175, no. 5 (May 2009): 104-11.
- Jobe, Brock, and Myrna Kaye, with the assistance of Philip Zea. New England Furniture, the Colonial Era: Selections from the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1984.
- Jobe, Brock, Jack O’Brien, and Gary R. Sullivan. Harbor and Home: Furniture of Southeastern Massachusetts, 1710-1850. Lebanon, N.H.: University Press of New England, 2009.
- Jobe, Brock, Philip Zea, and Joshua Lane. “Four Centuries of Massachusetts Furniture.” Antiques and Fine Art 12, no. 3 (winter/spring 2013): 182-89.
- Jones, Karen M. “American Furniture in the Milwaukee Art Center.” Antiques 111, no. 5 (May 1977): 974-83.
- Joy, Edward, introduction. Pictorial Dictionary of British 19th Century Furniture Design. An Antique Collectors’ Club Research Project. Woodbridge, England: Antique Collectors’ Club, 1977.